I’m trying some new things
- I read several craft books including Write Your Novel in a Month by Jeff Gerke (before NaNoWriMo 2015), Structuring Your Novel (and the workbook) by K.M. Weiland, and Write Your Novel from the Middle by James Scott Bell.
- I bought Scrivener iOS (I already owned Scrivener for Windows)
- I applied Randy Ingermanson’s Snowflake Method
- I became a plotter
- I signed up for and won (with 50,033 words submitted at 11:55 p.m. on November 30
- I didn’t take a break for December but did slow down
- I participated in JaNoWriMo. If you don’t know what that is, read Brittany Valentine’s awesome post.
I’m learning some new things
- I need to plot
- I actually prefer plotting
- I need to plot more thoroughly before writing
- Numeric word count goals make me write fluff that will be scrapped
- I need to research more before I write
- Don’t rabbit trail onto YouTube when you have strict writing goals
With my lessons learned I’m planning on the following schedule
I’ll probably cut down my 50K word goal and spend more time plotting. It’s based on one of my short stories, so plotting should be fairly easy.
Polish the beginning of Manuscript 1 and writing the synopsis for Genesis.
Finish rough draft of Manuscript 2
Polish Manuscript 1
Polish Manuscript 2
Count down the days until Realm Makers
Are you participating in JaNoWriMo? If so, how is it going? What are your writing goals and timeline?