I know you’ve already seen a lot about Realm Makers on NAF over the last month. We’re really trying to get the word out about the conference before registration opens on March 1. We’re very excited–several of the NAF authors (and previous authors) are going to be there! Becky, of course, is the director of Realm Makers, and Kristen, Kat, and Avily are all teaching this year. Man, we really need to get some of our guys on board! Keven? Tim? Will? Anybody?
Why would a speculative fiction writer want to attend such a unique (and smaller) writer’s conference? Oh, let me count the ways!
- Realm Makers has the unique platform of being a conference for Christians. We often feel that we are not weird enough to be in with the general crowd, and not normal enough to be in with the CBA people. At Realm Makers, we find ourselves among like-minded individuals, who, regardless whether they write for general market or CBS, have the same worldview that we do.
- Tosca Lee is the keynote speaker this year. Need I say more?
- Realm Makers offers some extra perks: costume awards banquet, flash fiction critique party as an early bird on Thursday night, and an onsite bookstore.
- Everyone gets to learn at the feet of some of the best in the industry like Jeff Gerke and LB Graham, while enjoying workshops on everything from the business side of writing to world-building and Christian taboos (Horror? Magic? Zombies?)
- Realm Makers is rounding up even more agents and editors willing to hear pitches and look at one-sheets and chapters.
- New relationships are forged and sealed in blood. Last year, over half of the New Authors Fellowship finally got to meet in person. Several people found new critique partners and beta readers. A few have even embarked on new projects together. So, networking, networking, networking.
- You really never know what is going to happen next. Last year, not only did Ben Wolf show us how to stage fight—he made us get up and try it out ourselves. Well, some of us anyway.
- Did I mention the costume banquet?
- And Tosca Lee?
- Still on the fence? How about 2+ days of fun, learning, and networking for the low, low price of $250 + room/food? Yes!
Realm Makers 2014 is going to be a must for speculative fiction writers. So, do what you need to do. Sell your blood, sell your furniture, sell your first born—er—dog? Get thee to the Realm Makers conference at the end of May. There are memories waiting to be made!
Be sure to enter the Rafflecopter giveaway at the bottom of the Faith and Fantasy blog. One lucky reader will win a Writer’s T.A.R.D.I.S. Basket with a ton of goodies. And don’t forget to visit Realm Makers’ Facebook page to find out where the next stop on the voyage is.
Registration opens March 1! Sign up early because there are only 100 spots available!