I’ve ripped back the sleeve two more times since I last wrote. I think I finally got it. It’s taught me two things: first, never knit a striped sleeve set-in. From now on, striped sweaters will get raglan sleeves. That’s the kind where the sleeve seam angles upward from the armhole to the neck, instead of going straight up to the shoulder.
The second thing I learned is that although while in progress it looks like–and to a large degree is–a tangled mess of threads, when I’m done it will be a unified whole.
Kind of like my book.
I’m working on the sequel to Alara’s Call, and it’s in about the same state as this sweater. The body is finished. There are just some subplots to figure out and tie off. Just as there are multiple colors in my sweater, there are multiple storylines in my book, but in the end they all need to come together as a cohesive whole.
The difference, of course, is that I know what the sweater is supposed to look like when it’s finished. The novel…I have to knit it…I mean write it…to find out.