A while back I did one of these on Hall of Masters,aka Secrets of the Dragon Seal, so I thought that I would do one for my other book, Forger of Dreams.
1. What’s your word count? 115k Currently, it’s my largest single book.
2. If you have finished, how long did it take you? I’ve spent roughly 5 years
3. What inspired you to write? A man and his swords…
4. Assign each of your major characters a theme song. Here’s a couple of them.
Sagon: Sting’s Mad about You
Morlein: The Old Ways by Loreena McKennit
5. Which character is most like you? Um, this one is tough. I’ll probably go for Morlein simply because most of the rest of the main females are extremely irritating – I mean more so than me.
6. Have your characters ever done something completely unexpected? Regularly, although in Forger and sequel, Galdron and Nessa are probably the worst. I think I mentioned both in my Embrace the Baggage post. It took two chapters for me to figure out that Galdron was embezzling.
7. Have you based any of your novel directly on personal experiences? History yes, but my personal history, no. It has plenty of common ground with a certain Revolution, but I’m not telling which one.
8. What culture or historical era is the book mostly set in? Damons resemble the classical Greek and Roman cultures with their luxury baths and Coliseum style games, but with flying platforms, griffion hunts, enchanted weapons and beserkers.
9. Does anyone die? Seriously? More than I care to count. Definitely the most of the books I’ve written so far. At least 5 important characters in Forger(you know, major enough to be known by name and have actual screen time for their death).
10. What is the best line?
From Forger: “Your husband is a fool,” he said dryly. I would have murdered you years ago with my own hands.
11. Summarize your novel in under fifteen words. Dreams, like blades, sometimes cut both ways.
12. Do you love all your characters? Well… the only character profile that ever made me nauseous while writing it is actually in Forger… but frightfully, even he slowly grew on me… *shivers*
13. Have you done something sadistic or cruel to your characters specifically to increase your word count? Word count, huh? Nope, never used that excuse…
14. What would your antagonist dress up as for Halloween? Which one? Tyrel would come as Emperor of the World for sure. Galdron would probably come as an Executioner. Sla’strones wouldn’t participate. Nessa would come as a Queen draped in all the jewelry she can get her hands on.
15. Does anyone in your story go to a place of worship? Um… does human sacrifice and idol worshiping count? If so, then yep and defiles it… (if that’s possible)
16. How many romantic relationships take place in your novel? Definitely, especially if you count the Sequel. I’ve got a couple convoluted triangles, but I’m not sure what counts if we’re doing numbers here.
Sla’strones ≠ Nessa > Sagon <> Morlein < Natolia
17. Who has pets in your novel and what are they? Morlein has a llama named Bwela. It tramples gardens, spits, bites and she absolutely adores it.
18. Does anyone have a temper tantrum? Absolutely, from female drama so petty it’s almost laughable, to the intense “lost a fight, now I kill you all” type.
19. Did you cry at killing off any of your characters? Really close with one in this book.
20. Did you cheer when killing off one of your characters? Not me, but I have some readers with high hopes. There are two particularly that have garnered multiple requests.