I got challenged to do this on Face book, so I thought I’d share.
1. Born in Germany, but don’t speak a word of German, nor have I seen my birthland since I was less than a year old. Hope to one day though.
2. In jr. high I was one of the ringleaders of a group of misfits.
3. In high school I was a wall-flower.
4. I generally hate the feel of lotion on my hands. Might be because of the damage it can do to artwork, or how it makes it near impossible for me to open doors.
5. I almost got left at the Cliffs of Moor during a school trip. As I ran for the parking lot, I could see my bus pulling out.
6. I fell from the monkey bars when I was 2 or 3 and ended up with stitches and a scar on my face. It’s faint enough that most people don’t even notice it.
7. My pupils are slightly different sizes – which is noted in my medical records because if I had a possible head injuries that’s one of the symptoms they look for … almost makes you wonder…
8. My Husband and I watch the ‘80s tv show MacGyver – have watched 6 full seasons and looking forward to the remaining one.
9. I hate most pictures of myself and intentionally do not give open mouth smiles because I hate how it makes my eyes look in most cases.
10. I’m intimidated by making bread based recipes from scratch. Even though the first “recipe” I ever tackled was lasagna.
11. Had my finger run over by an ice skate when I was a teen – it hurt. And I gotta tell ya, drops of blood on white ice is an eerie sight.
12. My favorite way to get extra minerals and nutrients is to gather edible plants from my yard – dandelion, alfalfa, clover, mint, etc, etc and throw them in a blender with a can of pineapple. Yummy.
13. I preserved and kept the flowers, dance ticket and photo from my High school prom (including the boutonnière since my date left it in my fridge). Made it all into a shadow box. I couldn’t get rid of the stuff – I was too sentimental – even though that was the only “date” I had with that person. I didn’t even preserve that much of my wedding stuff! My Mom thought I was a nut.
14. I actually do know the fundamentals of the game of football, though I would never admit it to anyone.
15. I played that crazy game of catch the greased pig, in the Philippines when I was like 6 or so. Saw a funny picture of it too. Among a small crowd of Filipino children, there was the one blond haired, fair skinned girl in bright blue.
16. One time I tried deep frying scones and almost set my house on fire.
17. My Husband & I moved into an apartment in winter once and when spring melted the snow we found a barbecue grill, in a waterlogged box beside our home. It had never been used and even had the instruction book, though it all had been sitting in the damp for months. No one claimed it so we dug it out, cleaned it up and sold it for $25 dollars. The guy who bought it thought it a stellar deal – and so did we.
18. I hate spiders and cockroaches, but often don’t have the guts to kill them. One time I was sitting in a rented upstairs bedroom, watching tv, when a medium size spider came bouncing out into the middle of the floor. I grabbed a bowl and trapped it. But I lived alone and wasn’t about to ask my landlords to come deal with it. I walked around that bowl for probably 2 weeks and never touched it, not even to peek. Then it was time to move out and my fiancée came to help me haul boxes. He found it and went to take the bowl to the kitchen only to find the critter still alive underneath. I let him kill it.
19. When I was a child, one of my neighbors was given a goat by his co-workers. It was half a gift but more of a joke. They had spray painted him green and called him the “Jolly Green Lawnmower”.
19. I did an art exhibit in High school, showing off a whole bunch of portrait drawings of teachers, but I refused to put my name on it. The teacher threatened to put it up there himself, but he never did.
20. I’m currently listening to a Neil Diamond song: “The Last Thing On My Mind”
21. The truly first plans for the story that evolved into my fantasy series were more of a rip-off of the movie “Lady Hawk” than Tolkien. However, by the time I had it half written it had completely morphed into something more like Dragonlance – since that’s what I was reading at the time. Had my own black tower and evil elf in a black hood and all.
22. When I was a teen, on one of the campouts I went on, I took to roasting gummy bears over the fire. Yummy. But a little tricky and very messy. Probably the same campout where I got nicknamed “the Barefoot explorer” because I would run around barefooted as much as possible. It’s a wonder my feet survived.
23. I gotta taste for Japanese Anime – but I do try to keep it as clean as possible. Yep, I know DNAngel, Fushugi Yuugi, Full Metal Panic, Full Metal Alchemist, Fruits Basket, Outlaw Star, Marmalade Boy, Peach Girl, Gundam Wing, etc.
24. One time, while visiting my parents, I used their shower and found it pretty dirty. So I scrubbed most of it down, but they have this little seat area where I wrote my name with the scrubbie and left the area around it dirty so that my signature stood out. Left it that way. Not sure how long it took for them to scrub my name off.
25. Throughout my middleschool years I worked in the cafeteria. They paid us with free meals but that wasn’t why I did it. I loved the sense of respect and being trusted. Besides, I loved being sort of the exception, being able to get curly fries instead of plain, being able to have an extra side – stuff like that. The second year I was there, the manager had me mentoring/helping new adult aides. In the third year I got to help run the little ala carte section were we took money and made change. It was a blast. How curious the irony. I held that job for 3 years, still my record…outside of Mother and Homemaker.
And a bonus for those that read this far – Ren is a pen name taken from the nickname “Renegade” which I have used for years in on-line writing groups, specifically writing.com …